Saturday, May 3, 2008

My New Book: "Your Book: Writing it With Style and Clarity, Publishing Beautiful Pages, Selling Thousands of Copies

I taught a writing class at ISU for several years and wrote a book (text) for use in the class. I never did get it publish and thought it was about time. But I know that today's writers want to learn a lot more than just writing, and many of them would like to self-publish their books. So I've added two sections to the book: one on publishing and one on selling the book.

I have 22 published books over the years and most of them were published by relatively large publishers, but like many writers I became interested in self-publishing a few years ago. I found it to be an interesting process, and like many self publishers I found the selling of the books is the biggest challenge. I discovered quickly that if you advertize a little and get your book on Amazon.com you sell a few books ... in other words, the orders "dribble" in. But what you really want is for them to come in a "flood." At least that would be nice. But for most people, the cost of the advertizing that it would take to sell thousands, is prohibitive. Luckily, there are now several channels beyond the usual newspaper, TV and radio ads, that are much less expensive. And as I'm sure you know, one of the best of them is the internet.

In my book I talk about my experiences in trying to sell books on my own, and what worked best for me. Maybe you can share some of your experiences, so I can pass them on.

A detailed overview of the contents of "Your Book" is posted on my webpage BarryParkerbooks.com. I hope you'll look at it. I'll talk more about the book in future posts. It should be out in a couple of months

No comments: